The Restorative Approach
In North east Lincolnshire Council we are working towards embedding the restorative approach through everything we do. Leaders and managers have undertaken a programme, with action learning between sessions, aiming to build a collaborative professional forum to:
- Explore, validate and challenge existing leadership practices
- Support the application of new learning in day to day practice
- Encourage self-reflection and sharing of learning with action research
WHAT IS RESTORATIVE LEADERSHIP...
Effective leaders know that achieving rapid and sustainable success requires a clear understanding of purpose, with an ability to communicate in ways that create a context for improvement: continually connecting the right people with the right conversations, creating dialogue and learning - resulting in new and better ways to face facts, no matter how challenging.
The communication framework provided by Restorative Principles in Practice offers a guide to help inform and support the practice of leadership. The key elements of this framework involve:
- Creating connections
- Making decisions collaboratively
- Engaging in dialogue to build, maintain and restore relationships
Further information can be accessed at http://www.restorativefoundation.org.uk/